Dr. Trowers’ Blog
What is the one accessory that you will have forever? Your skin. As I always tell my patients, they need to treat it like the most psychotically expensive purse, watch or shoes they’ve ever owned… because you are stuck with it forever! I am the first to admit that a regular skin care regimen can be a pain to maintain, but the results are so worth it. Even within a month or two benefits can be seen with something as simple as sunscreen (with not just the ingredients to prevent sunburns, but brown spots and wrinkles as well), in addition to a hyaluronic acid moisturizer.
1. Get Rid of Eczema- But wait…no one truly has eczema. That’s basically the same as asking, “What does that person look like?” and the response is “Like a human.” NOT helpful. When you have red, irritated or itchy skin it can be an allergy, psoriasis, atopic dermatitis or a number of other skin conditions that I diagnosis and treat everyday in my office.
2. #Freedomfromflakes- The medical term for dandruff is seborrheic dermatitis. Prescription medications can clear it right up and a maintenance plan really works. At last you can add black back into your wardrobe!
3. Better selfies– Are you tired of searching YouTube for makeup tutorials for contouring your face, accentuating your cheeks and plumping your lips? Fillers (which are man made versions of hyaluronic acid which is naturally made in your skin) can do all of that. As one of my patients said, “Coming here is like my birthday in reverse!”. Give us a call, cosmetic consultations are free. Take a look at the natural results I can achieve.
4. Pimple popping stops NOW!- My staff members and I have all suffered from acne, so we totally know how you feel. But the right treatment plan can work for pimples and the spots they leave behind.
P.S. Consider showing someone you love (significant other, parents, friends or someone you’re trying to impress this Valentine’s Day) that you love their skin too! Take a look at our Instagram or Facebook for details about the special we have for the month of February.
Now go love your skin and have a fantastic Valentine’s Day!
Your skin is your best accessory, so don’t you want it looking skintastic for the holiday season and heading into 2017? Just like a new pair of shoes can put some pep in your step, a tune up for your skin can do the same. A number of times I’ve caught a glimpse of a patient in my waiting room or been out to dinner with a friend and thought, “Wow! They look great!”. Then I realize that several weeks before I injected them or they just had a dermaplaning facial. Lol! So here are some things that your skin really, really…like REALLY wants for the holidays.
1. Get rid of those lines! Those parenthesis around your mouth can be softened with fillers like Restylane Lyft and Voluma. Also with the all the fantastic fillers that are out now it’s like providing an artist with new colors to create. Etched in, fine lines can be softened and sometimes disappear with Restylane Silk, other fillers can naturally augment your lips or cupids bow and your cheekbones can be accentuated naturally. A little volume can go a long way. As one patient said, “You turned my sad emoji face to a happy one!”. If you feel good, your skin should look good too. Studies have shown that even if you don’t feel good a cosmetic tune up can sometimes provide a sustained mood boost. Or at the very least make you look like you’re in a good mood!
2. Get glowing! My office now provides spray tanning and my staff is officially obsessed. What better way to prevent sun spots, wrinkles and skin cancer but still look sun kissed? Direct quote from a staff member, “I glimpsed my legs in shorts in the mirror and they looked like Barbie legs!” Please book your appointments as soon as possible ($25 per tan for the holidays) before my staff uses it all up. #Spraytanaddict
3. Get a skin care regimen! Great skin only happens to some of us…for the rest of us it depends on the effort expended. Using the right moisturizer, skin boosters and exfoliators can make the difference between good and great. Remember that my staff and I are here to help you get your skin to where you want it to be. We are all guinea pigs for the products we carry, so just let us know what your concerns are and we can take it from there.
Now, are you going to be naughty or nice? Your skin’s waiting….
My staff admits that if they ever left me they would all suffer from severe cases of FOMO (which stands for Fear Of Missing Out). One staff member’s mother initially told her not to go back to school because the family discount would no longer apply…she was kidding…we think. Working for me, they have the benefit of seeing live before and afters every day. They admit that without this job they may have become victims of duck lips, frozen faces or not realized that there was something to treat those annoying hollows under their eyes. Here are the procedures and treatments they would miss the most…
1. Laser hair removal is a dead up miracle. If shaving takes you 5 minutes a day, that’s 2.5 hours a month, 30 hours a year. Our laser can be done on all skin types (even when you’re tan), eliminates shaving bumps and can be done anywhere colored hair grows on your body. Oh…and numbing creams are available for the woosies.
2. Every day we see scars from breast and tummy cosmetic surgeries that are still red years later. From personal experience (hey, we’re all guinea pigs…that’s the benefit of working here) we realized that microneedling not only works on indented acne scars, but also on fading those types of surgical scars. One new patient said that hearing about this for her breast scars was the best part of her new patient skin exam!
3. Sighted…peach fuzz in your rearview mirror. Solution, dermaplaning. A technique that uses a tiny blade to remove dead skin and peach fuzz. FYI hair does not grow back thicker. This procedure requires expertise and we have two of the best here. Want to experience it for free? Follow us on instagram to enter our dermaplaning raffle.
Education is key. Truly understanding the medical and cosmetic treatments I offer is an essential and required part of my staffs’ training. That’s why they will all be ahead of the curve in the aging process. Remember cosmetic consults and skin care recommendations are complimentary and available at every appointment. Just ask.
Forward this blog to a friend. But if they ask you in a few weeks why you are looking so good…bye Felicia..because you know they didn’t read it. Hey, you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink.
Sorry for the delay in posting, but hopefully you have been too busy enjoying a fantastic summer to notice. For those of you who haven’t visited the Grand Canyon yet….it’s a must on the bucket list. So amazing that it didn’t seem real! Besides that I also have a new found love of cooking…shocker for those who know me (check out the links below for some of my fav recipes…can someone say crockpot obsession?!).
I want to remind everyone of two things, based on what I’ve experienced in the past month. One fluffy and one serious.
I’ll start with serious. Don’t ignore a new mole or changes in an old one. Hopefully everyone is aware of the signs: A- asymmetry, B- irregular borders, C- color change, D- diameter greater than 6 mm (6mm is about the size of a pencil eraser), E- evolving (such as bleeding, irritation or other changes). My Physician Assistant, Ashley, and I try to review it with everyone at their first visit and on every full body exam (which we offer yearly and more frequently for those with a history of any type of skin cancer or atypical moles).
In the past month I’ve diagnosed two early melanomas and two severely atypical moles in four patients. Three patients had noticed brand new moles (less than two months) and one was not aware of the new mole, but I noticed it on the full body exam. Please remember that all insurance plans cover full body exams. I know it’s sometimes a hassle to get undressed, but that hassle may be extremely beneficial to your health.
Ok! On to the fluff! I have to admit that my staff and I find it super cute when a woman says, “I love my man so much that I want him to look great too.” One woman bought filler and Botox for the husband she clearly adores. The funniest was when a husband said, “I’m here for a mole.” And his wife said, “No, you’re here for filler. Put on the numbing cream. He needs to look as good as he makes me feel.” So sweet! FYI, I still did a full body exam on him. Hey, guys want to look good too, natural of course, but sometimes they need a little guidance from the most important person in their life. Don’t undersell yourselves ladies!
May the last few days of your summer be amazing, filled with life, love and sunshine …with sunscreen of course!
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/11959/slow-cooker-lasagna/ I used ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese and no boil lasagna.
http://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/flank-steak-tomato-balsamic No slow cooker, but delicious.
http://www.familyfreshmeals.com/2014/06/best-crockpot-bbq-chicken.html I used Whole Foods 305 brand barbecue sauce and shredded it at the end.