Dr. Trowers’ Blog
My staff and I have compiled a list of our favorite patient quotes! Enjoy!
1. “Mommy does it hurt?”-daughter asking her mother about bruises on her face after filler and Dysport. Mother’s reply- “No…and in a couple of weeks Mommy is going to look REALLY pretty.”
2. Little boy to his mother- “Mommy, you have the prettiest cheekbones!”. Mother who had been injected by me with Voluma replies- “No honey, Dr. Trowers gave me those cheekbones.” (News flash, we are currently running a special on Voluma. Take a look at my video on YouTube to see a patient being injected.)
3. “I never thought I’d look so good at 45!”- filler and Dysport patient
4. “I’ve never seen a Doctor wear cowboy boots…but I like it!”
5. My mother, Edith, was paying for something that needed to be shipped to the office. “Oh!” said the salesperson “Dr. Trowers is my Dermatologist!” “I’m her mother.” said Edith. “I’m her face!” said the woman.
6. Patient to Dr. Trowers right before having his melanoma excised, “My wife and I were talking about you last night. It’s interesting that you keep telling me how important it is to wear sunscreen when you’re so tan yourself.” After hysterically laughing for five minutes, I at last replied “I’m half Jamaican and half German…so it’s a natural tan!”
Thank you to my awesome staff and patients! Who make going to my office fun every day!
After an amazing trip to Argentina, here is blog #2! Don’t cry for me Argentina…but I definitely felt like crying when I left you ;)!
We are now in the second month of the new year and I am staying dedicated to my #SkinGoals2016. Research shows that it takes thirty days to make a habit, so I’m well on my way. I have to admit that I’m not always the best patient, but time marches on with no exceptions (and Dysport and fillers can only go so far).
Dr. Trowers’ #SkinGoals2016
1. I will wear sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 30 and containing microionized zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide every day on my face, chest, arms and hands. Physical blockers like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide provide better overall protection than chemical sunscreens and microionized means that the ingredients are fine particles that provide a more complete shield of protection.
2. I will put on a topical vitamin c every day. Certain brands have the science to prove that they make your sunscreen stronger. Also I’m addicted to the pretty glow they provide. P.S. I even put mine on before going out in the evening.
3. I will stop extending my cheat day to several days…sometimes a week. I love crap and I think every tooth I have is a salty and sweet one…sigh.
4. I will use my prescription topical retinoid every day. My patients and staff who use it and follow my skin care instructions look amazing and the change in their skin is significant. We have patients in their forties on it whose skin looks better than the twenty year olds who are not.
5. I will meditate every day for twenty minutes. In case you did not know I now have seven daughters…my fantastic staff and my great new Physician Assistant Ashley, so I need to be centered to be the best boss for them and the best Dermatologist for you.
6. I will have a dermaplaning facial done every month. I now have two great facialists and I love how my skin looks after this procedure (especially with our new hydrating mask).
7. I will use my Latisse and Alphaeon Lash Serum every day. They work and it is ridiculous that I cannot find the time to put two swipes on my lashes, but can spend 10 minutes putting on mascara.
7 is my lucky number, so I will stop there in hopes that it is like putting a little bit of fairy dust on my goals to make them stick!
Luckily for all my patients out there, I’m in the same boat and sailing in the same direction. I’m getting older, but I want to continue to age gracefully without falling down the slippery slope and ending up looking like a whack a doo (you know the look…huge duck lips with a frozen, overly full, fat face).
My goal with the cosmetic treatments my office provides is to achieve a natural aesthetic. I want friends and family to tell you look great, well rested, refreshed… but they can’t tell that you actually had anything done. My best compliments have been when a husband told a wife as she emerged from getting something out of the fridge one early morning, “You’re beautiful” (that was a week after she received fillers and toxins at my office). Or when the mother who always told her daughter she looked tired, raved about how great she looked one week after the daughter had filler done by me under her eyes.
As we age, especially if you’re working out, everyone loses volume in their face. This contributes to hollowing under the eyes, flattening of the apple of the cheek, loss of the angle of the cheek and jawline, shrinking of the lips and the creation of folds between the corners of the nose and lips. When you look at someone in their twenties, their face is youthful because it is full. But when I place filler in someone’s face I don’t want them to look too full or else they lose the angle of their facial structure and their face can appear fat. Not the look we want!
It’s also important to me to have a light hand with Botox and Dysport. I want my patient’s to still have facial expressions, but softening the crows feet and frown lines contributes to an overall youthful look.
Quick summary: Fillers like Perlane, Restylane, Radiesse, Juvederm and Voluma replace lost volume and are man made versions of substances that naturally occur in our skin. Restylane Silk is a newer filler that addresses fine detail work and carved in wrinkles (as my assistant Lauren says, “It goes where no filler has gone before!”). Toxins like Botox and Dysport soften lines of movement (crows feet, worry lines and wrinkles in the forehead).
Please take a look at my YouTube channel to see me assessing and injecting a patient’s face, as well as the two week follow up. My video, ‘Botox and Restylane – Before & After‘ has over 200,000 views! Next week I’ll be posting a new video treating Lauren’s fifty two year old mother.